Determining whether we are doing pretty boot -- in olpc-configure - 12.1.0

Kevin Gordon kgordon420 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 27 11:17:18 EDT 2012

On Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 10:22 AM, Martin Langhoff <martin at laptop.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 10:19 AM, Daniel Drake <dsd at laptop.org> wrote:
> > On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 5:05 PM, Martin Langhoff <martin at laptop.org>
> wrote:
> >> How do we determine whether we are doing pretty boot? I am looking at
> >> olpc-configure at this moment.
> >
> > Curious why you need to know this. Anyway, the answer is just to see
> > if plymouthd is running
>
> With sisusbvga devices, we have a cosmetic bug: when we bring up the
> external monitor, we display a text console on the laptop display.
>
> If I cover it up -- which we may be able to do with a simple change --
> I want to ensure it's conditional on prettyboot.

Just my 2 cents :  I like seeing the text screen on the XO in sisusb
external monitor land.  Kind of reinforces that everything is working well,
and that the XO is 'alive'.  Sometimes the external device doesn't sync
properly (unsupported adapter, incompatible projector, bad connection) and
it's nice to be able to limit the troubleshooting.  Especially on the
XO-1,  which at 11.3.1 still doesn't seem to be at 100%.  (Aside:  Not sure
if the DSD mods to pull SIS back into the main kernel have made it into the
beast that is in that 11.3.1 build so far.  If so, I'll do more rigorous
SISUSB testing on that build on all three platforms.)  As per a previous
note, the test 883 kernel  from San Fran that did accomplish working 100%
on the external monitor on the XO-1, no longer auto-mounted the USB flash
drives on boot.  Easy workaround, but ....

So from my narrow perspective, unless one can actually make the screens
mirror, I'd always (marginally) prefer to see the text screen rather than a
blank screen.

Also, please let me know if 12.1.0 is ready for my battery of external USB
device testing on all three platforms.  I've been holding off,  due to what
are perhaps now-obsolete 'wait' instructions from PR.

Cheers,

KG