Update error XO-1 883

David Leeming david at leeming-consulting.com
Sun Apr 15 01:27:05 EDT 2012

On Sun, Apr 15, 2012 at 12:05 AM, David Leeming
<david at leeming-consulting.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 14, 2012 at 11:40 PM, David Leeming
> <david at leeming-consulting.com> wrote:
>> Trying to install x11vnc on an XO-1 build 883
>> ...
>> olpc-f14/primary
>> http://rpmdropbox.laptop.org/f14/repodata/primary.xml.gz: [Errno -1]
>> Metadata file does not match checksum
>> Trying other mirror
>> ...
>> Error: failure: repodata/primary.xml.gz from olpc-f14: [Errno 256] No
>> mirrors to try
>> I tried yum clean all, reinstalling and trying again, checking date is
>> correct, checking Internet connection is OK, nothing works - but I did
> this
>> successfully on another XO yesterday.
>>> You need to use the baseurl directive in the yum repo config file not
>>> a mirror one as it's not mirroed. Peter
> Thanks, if you please can advise how do I do that, and comment why it
> previously (several times up to now I have done this successfully) ...

> I have no idea why it worked previously but the error says there's not
> more mirrors to try which means yum isn't getting a mirror, given that
> the rpmdropbox isn't mirrored it means that it's not using a baseurl
> configuration for it. The various repositories are configured in
> /etc/yum.repos.d/ and the various yum manual pages are your friend but
> you'll find the config file is quite simple, there's a couple of
> examples in that directory. Peter

That directory contains olpc-f14.repo and olpc-f14-xo1.repo and both already
have a baseurl line, i.e.




Furthermore: I suspected it might be a caching issue, and tried yum clean
metadata, physically removed the repomd.xml and primary.xml.gz files in the
yum cache for olpc-f14 and fedora, and verified that those were then
replenished when trying the update. But it still fails when doing yum
install x11vnc with "Metadata file does not match checksum" for

I suspect that it might be an ISP cache issue (just going from what  learned
searching for a solution)

And it DID work reproducibly using freshly (and identically) installed XO-1s
many times in the last two weeks until yesterday!

More information about the Devel mailing list