[Techteam] Announcing Q3C05 for XO-1.5

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Thu Apr 12 11:53:20 EDT 2012

On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 11:37 AM, Jerry Vonau <jvonau at shaw.ca> wrote:
> My wish list has generate an image without an internet connection. I
> just haven't had the chance to work through the details as this has not
> been made a priority for me. I'm thinking that the gathering of the
> activities and rpms could be split out from the creation of the image
> like what is done for the XS with pungi. Once the cache has been
> populated its reuse could be done if there was no internet present. The
> advantage is you could generate new images with local customizations
> on-site while offline.

Understood. So quick recipe:

 - run it once, while connected

 - _copy_ the build/cache directory

 - change to an alternative .ini file, apply minor patches -- careful here!
   = patch activity_group module to ignore the failure to connect to
server, it should still save the activity_group URL in the resulting
image
   = change .ini to pick activities from a directory (activities_extra modules
   = in the cache directory, copy the yum repos caches to another
location; keep them separate from eachother, you may need to run
createrepo on each of them
   = change all repo references in the ini file, _keeping the repo
names_ but pointing to the new file:// locations -- some of those repo
references are in module code. Keeping repo names is important for the
setup of yum excludes.

Alternatively, you could run a webserver, and frob your /etc/hosts
file to make OOB connect via http to the loopback address -- just
write a small script to fake the yum repos and the Activities repo,
based on the hardcoded repo names embedded in OOB and an ini file
passed as a parameter. That's be a Dr Evil kinda move, but I'd add it
to OOB in a utils directory :-)

You might have to flesh out a few additional details but it seems
eminently doable, with trivial patches and/or a fake-the-servers
script.

cheers,

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions