12.1.0 devel build 6 released, for the XO-1, XO-1.5 and XO-1.75

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Tue Apr 3 15:24:13 EDT 2012

On Tue, Apr 3, 2012 at 8:02 PM, Mikus Grinbergs <mikus at bga.com> wrote:
>> I don't disagree but ultimately if there's not appropriate bug reports
>> with all the information needed we can't fix the problems. So
>> ultimately I appreciate his bug reports but with a non standard
>> configuration we need detailed reports to have that information be
>> useful for those people that actually have to deal with the
>> information and fix the problem.
>

> I've already stopped writing bug reports against Fedora - I've concluded
> their requirement that the submitter describe "how to reproduce the bug" is
> to me not worth my time and effort.  Fedora is *their* product - what does
> it matter to me whether it retains bugs ?
>

> You would like "all the information needed".  I thought I posted to the
> effect that when an XO-1 with 12.1.0 build os6 is booted, nothing gets
> defined in the /dev tree against which a 'mount' command could be issued in
> order to access the content of a partition on the SD card plugged into the
> XO-1 external slot (beneath the screen).  It is not clear to me what the "we
> need detailed reports" are that would allow you to discover whether such a
> problem exists on the XO-1 you use.
>
> Note that for my purposes I was able to bypass this problem.  What I was not
> able to ignore was the os6 (on XO-1) reaction to having an entry in
> /etc/fstab referencing this undefined (on os6) storage device.  But I agree
> that having such an entry in /etc/fstab is "non-standard" -- from now on, I
> will make sure to NEVER for 12.1.0 to mention any problems I have with
> whatever I do that is "non-standard".

Mikus, you misinterpret what I say, I have no problems with
non-standard issues and reports, but you need to understand to be able
fix the problem I need to know how I can recreate the problem or what
the specifics of the problem are it makes it hard for me to work out
where it needs to be fixed. I've already looked at the SD card issue
and recreated the problem for example. You mentioned you'd already
created a ticket for this, do you have the number of the ticket?

In the case of the /etc/fstab if it's a file system required to boot
it will bork, if it's not it should but then with all the changes
between f14 -> f17 for core boot process I'm not surprised if there's
been a change that hasn't been documented. I'll try to recreate it as
well. Tickets help me track the problems so it doesn't get lost.

Peter