Command to power cycle

Paul Fox pgf at laptop.org
Thu Sep 8 11:34:07 EDT 2011

kevin wrote:
 > I saw the power cycle command on a previous thread.  Not sure I would ever
 > use that feature as it looks like a 'deeper' restart than just a 'reboot',
 > and me being a lowly user, :-)

that command is equivalent to pulling the plug and removing the battery.
so yes, somewhat deeper than "reboot".

 > But that's not why I'm calling out.  I was wondering if you or James or
 > someone knew if there is a terminal command that I can enter to cause an
 > XO-1 to go to sleep, a very deep sleep.  Like the one it goes into when you
 > leave it alone for many hours.  Why, you might ask?  Well, the sisusb
 > usb2vga adapters are very unreliable on 11-2 and beyond on the XO-1.  There
 > is an open ticket on this.

there's a command you can send to powerd which might do what you want:
    sudo powerd-config =dark-suspend

we implemented this when we needed it for power measurement tests.  i'm
not sure it's been tested recently, but it should still work.

paul