Graphics for indicating that a firmware update is taking place

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Thu Sep 1 20:06:04 EDT 2011

On Thu, Sep 01, 2011 at 02:17:12PM -0400, Martin Langhoff wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 10:04 PM, James Cameron <quozl at laptop.org> wrote:
> > Fixed it yesterday, please give it a try.
> > http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/11117
>
> Interesting.
>
> My preference on this -- following earlier discussions -- would be to
> be able to bundle graphics in the bootfw.zip bundle, so that
> deployments can provide localized graphics (even in small / limited
> format).
>
> This is of course a harder trick when updating the EC. Is there any
> practical way of making this possible?

Yes, but it makes something that is already risky even more dependent on
other factors, such as the access time of the eMMC or SD.  I would not
be willing to go there.  You might ask Mitch.

We probably have room for one global icon for this.  I shall await a
design.

I think time would be better spent on ensuring that the power button is
ignored during OpenFirmware reflash.  It blinks if it is pressed.

It doesn't blink if pressed during EC reflash.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/