Need To Know: How to get the latest Help Activity on Macs and PCs???

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 01:36:41 EDT 2011

On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 8:59 PM, Caryl Bigenho <cbigenho at hotmail.com> wrote:

>> Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2011 20:46:23 -0400
>> Subject: Re: Need To Know: How to get the latest Help Activity on Macs and
>> PCs???
>> From: walter.bender at gmail.com
>> To: cbigenho at hotmail.com
>> CC: devel at lists.laptop.org; support-gang at laptop.org;
>> iaep at lists.sugarlabs.org
>>
>> On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 8:39 PM, Caryl Bigenho <cbigenho at hotmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > Hi Walter,
>> >
>> > The Help Activity we want to work from is 11.3.0. It is version 13 and
>> > was
>> > updated by Bastien, David Farning, and Brian Jordan.  I don't think they
>> > did
>> > anything with the Turtle Art Activity. As far as I can see, the last
>> > work on
>> > it was done in 2008 during, or soon after, the Book Sprint.  I you have
>> > 11.3.0 running on an XO you can check it over and be sure of the status
>> > and
>> > contents.
>>
>> I thought that the idea was to pull fresh content from the Wikibooks
>> we had written and that the TA book was one of the sources, hence I
>> updated it. I'll try downloading the latest help activity bits and
>> check them. Are they not available on ASLO?
> Yes, we would like to import the newest versions taken from updated manuals.
> That is what Tuukka is helping with.  But even then, they may need some
> "tweaking" for the latest 11.3.0 Also, some that are much longer than the
> original SECTIONS may not be used in their entirety, but instead will be
> referenced with links. We are a bit concerned about space and don't want the
> Activity SECTIONS to be long enough to be a whole separate manual. The idea
> is to get folks off to a good start with an Activity and have them do one or
> 2 projects.  Then they can go to the Activity's own manual to learn more.
> Now, "true confessions," I am not familiar with the acronym "ASLO."  What
> does it refer to and how can we use it to make the FLOSS manual revisions?
> Is it something we can use to read and edit the material on our laptops/
> Caryl

Thanks. It is all starting to become clearer as to what has been
done/what needs to be done.

Sorry about the use of the acronym. As Kevin explained, it refers to
activities.sugarlabs.org. The version stored there was last updated in
July.

I am still not quite sure the best way to contribute: presumably not
by submitting a patch (a file that itemizes the difference between the
current version and my proposed changes). For the time being, I'll
continue to update the FLOSSmanual itself and offer Tuukka some help.
Is there a bug report associated with the Booki problem he is
encountering?

regards.

-walter

--