11.3.0 release candidate 3 (build 882) released

Daniel Drake dsd at laptop.org
Fri Oct 21 14:53:39 EDT 2011

Hi,

We're pleased to announce our third release candidate of our new
11.3.0 software release.

Information and installation instructions can be found here:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Release_notes/11.3.0

Quick links for those who know which files need to be grabbed and save
to USB disks:
http://download.laptop.org/xo-1/os/candidate/882/
http://download.laptop.org/xo-1.5/os/candidate/882/
http://download.laptop.org/xo-1.75/os/candidate/882/

This is a signed release candidate that can be installed on all XOs,
even those with security enabled.

We're looking for testing and feedback on all aspects of the system.
Thanks for any help you can offer, and for all the feedback that was
received throughout development.

Our scheduled release date is November 1st.

Please review the "Known problems" section of the release notes. Some
documented issues are carried over from previous releases, but others
are new and are things that we will aim to fix in the few weeks before
release, including:

XO-1.75
 Sound does not work in many activities (ticket #11296).
 There is no suspend/resume support yet.
 There is slight mouse cursor visual corruption in Sugar, and the
mouse cursor in GNOME appears odd, but is otherwise functional.
 Sometimes, part of the screen may not redraw correctly, such as
Sugar's neighborhood view after dismissing the wireless security
dialog (ticket #11273)

XO-1 users: we have identified a bug in the firmware releases shipped
during 11.3.0 development and in earlier 11.3.0 release candidates.
Affected versions are Q2E46 and Q2E47. You can check which version you
are running in the Sugar 'Settings' dialog.
Unfortunately, a bug in the firmware update code means that these
firmware versions will not automatically upgrade to newer versions. We
have fixed this in Q2E48 (included in 11.3.0 build 882 onwards), but
existing users of Q2E46 and Q2E47 will need to update manually. Sorry
about that. The procedure is outlined here:
http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/11336#comment:8
Ask for help on these lists if needed.
Users of 11.2.0 and previous (who will be running older firmware
releases such as Q2E45) are not affected, and XO-1.5 and XO-1.75 users
are similarly unaffected.

Changes since build 881:

The Sugar intro screen now shows the correct mouse cursor.

The Sugar "About my computer" dialog now shows firmware versions on
the XO-1.75 as it does on other laptop models.

A XO-1.75 graphics drawing problem has been solved: closing the
wireless key dialog no longer leaves an unpainted region on the
screen.

The camera now works in Scratch on XO-1.75.

Wikipedia should no longer crash on XO-1.75 and will use less network
bandwidth when online on all laptop models (previously we were
downloading and rendering huge images, now we use thumbnails as we
should!)

Record no longer crashes on XO-1 when recording audio/video.

A XO-1 keyboard problem was fixed causing some XO-1 models to have
non-functional special keys (e.g. the frame key)

An issue preventing XO-1 firmware upgrades was fixed, but affected
users will need to manually update the firmware just this once.

A trivial bug fix was applied to further reduce the window where the
system may decide to suspend while connecting to a network.

XO-1.75 now sends kernel log messages over serial console in secure
mode. A XO-1.75 firmware update also reduces the popping at the
start/end of the bootup jingle.

8GB disk images are now produced for XO-1.75.

Closed tickets:
#11332 Record activity dying while recording on SIGILL on XO-1
#10712 wrong cursor on welcome screen
#11232 Sugar "About my Computer" dialog does not show 1.75
firmware/wireless firmware versions
#11315 XO 1.75 secure mode gets ttyS0 console instead of ttyS2
#11335 Specialized Sugar keys on XO-1 Keyboard not working after battery pull
#11336 Q2E46 does not automatically pick up new firmware builds.
#11318 Ad-hoc network is not brought back after idle suspend/resume
#11319 Scratch looks for wrong libv4l2.so file
#11280 Drawing issue in neighborhood view
#11295 insufficient resources for operation in wikipedia