opportunistic suspend article on LWN

Paul Fox pgf at laptop.org
Thu Oct 20 23:49:05 EDT 2011

martin wrote:
 > On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 2:03 PM, Paul Fox <pgf at laptop.org> wrote:
 > > i'm not too worried that we can't do better with what's coming along.
 >
 > Is it worth making noise about olpc-powerd, lessons learned, desirable features?
 >
 > We are ahead of the curve in using mostly-vanilla Linux with
 > aggressive suspend strategies, so others might not have the experience
 > and burn-marks we carry...

the problems that i know we have -- how to inhibit suspend properly,
how to avoid race conditions when suspending or resuming, are well-known
problems that android's wakelocks and the new kernel infrastructure
are aimed at addressing.  so i'm confident that we'll have better tools
to solve those problems than we do now.

but i do need to read that thread more carefully.

paul

 paul fox, pgf at laptop.org