low contrast icons on the favourites view

Kevin Gordon kgordon420 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 4 16:40:00 EDT 2011

On Tue, Oct 4, 2011 at 11:29 AM, Paul Fox <pgf at laptop.org> wrote:

> daniel wrote:
>  > On Tue, Oct 4, 2011 at 2:42 PM, Kevin Gordon <kgordon420 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>  > > On os8 on multiple XO 1.5's, i sometimes (unpredictably to me) get the
> swirl
>  > > of icons in the favourites view coming up with many showing in very
> low
>  > > contrast.  Switching between list and favourites does not bring back
> the
>  > > higher contrast.  Rebooting the machine does restore the high contrast
> ,then
>  > > upon continuing to perform  some subsequent tasks and then going back
> to the
>  > > favourites view, the wheel icons are mostly low contrast again.  While
> the
>  > > activities which I have visited are colour, there are ones I've never
> been
>  > > in which are high-contrast b/w, but tmost of teh others look a very
> dull
>  > > grey.
>  > >
>  > > I haven't seen for this on 11-2, 874, but I've been pretty well
> immersed
>  > > just in 11.3 builds for the last little while.
>  >
>  > Is there something in the search box at the top of the screen?
>  > If there is, did you knowingly/accidently put it there?
>
> i've been bitten by this too.  perhaps it would be possible
> to somehow highlight the search box when it's in use?  if the
> inadvertent character is a period, or comma, or otherwise tiny
> character, one has only a _very_ subtle visual cue as to what's
> happened.  if the search field outline, or even perhaps just the
> magnifier icon, were colored when text was entered, it would be pretty
> obvious what was happening.

Now that I know where to look, and am vastly more experienced than I was
just a mere 8 hours ago :-)  there is a little x in a circle that appears at
te right edge inside the Search field whenever there is something entered
there - so there is already a difference between null and something present,
in that box.    I just didn't know this low contrast behaviour for filtering
existed at all.

Cheers

KG