Ready-made kernel, XO-1, Xubuntu, and initrd questions [Devel Digest, Vol 69, Issue 60]

Yioryos Asprobounitis mavrothal at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 26 15:33:34 EST 2011

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 2
> Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2011 11:40:21 +0000
> From: Alec Muffett <alec.muffett at gmail.com>
> To: devel at lists.laptop.org
> Subject: Ready-made kernel, XO-1, Xubuntu, and initrd
> questions
>
> Hi!
>
> I have a G1G1-era XO-1 and am trying to put Xubuntu onto
> it, using
> Virtualbox to do the setup and build on OSX, and then
> dd'ing the raw
> image to a 4Gb SD-card for booting. I'm using the current
> Xubuntu-alternate CD to build the image, and then
> approximately
> following the Wiki at
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Ubuntu_Lucid_on_OLPC_XO
> regards getting a
> kernel installed.
>
> At first I used the wiki instructions to pick a kernel
> from
> http://dev.laptop.org/~kernels/olpc-2.6.31-xo1/ - from
> this directory
> I chose:
>

> vmlinuz-2.6.35_xo1-20100827.0009.1.olpc.e8a1b0f901cd2b3

Did you get _only_ the vmlinuz from the kernel rpm :-?

> ...and following the instructions got my XO1 to boot
> successfully to a
> GUI login, but it would be unusable because during boot it
> would
> complain about not finding "/lib/modules/<VERSION>+"
> - with a trailing
> "+" character - and thereby could not get at trackpad or
> usb-mouse
> drivers.

You only get "<VERSION>+" if you _build_ the kernel from a dirty tree source, not when you rpm2cpio an official kernel rpm (as the wiki instructions suggest).
If you are building the kernel and you use the vmlinuz from the official kernel rpm, you can remove the "+" by typing, while in the kernel source dir and before you build the kernel:
sed -rie 's/echo "\+"/#echo "\+"/' scripts/setlocalversion