[Fwd: Virtaal on ARM]

Chris Leonard cjlhomeaddress at gmail.com
Mon Nov 14 15:26:19 EST 2011

On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 3:05 PM, Kevin Gordon <kgordon420 at gmail.com> wrote:

>  As for the issue with mesa I have a pretty good idea that it is not so
>> much an "error" with the pre-existing RPM as the fact that I think OLPC has
>> hacked a local copy down to size to save some space on the XO.  Choices
>> like that get made because of the extremely limited storage of the XO
>> laptop.  Let's call it a "misfeature" of a compromise that was made for the
>> right reasons. with unintended consequences.
>>
>> So lets ignore it for this discussion.
>>
>> ** Found 1 pre-existing rpmdb problem(s), 'yum check' output follows:
>> mesa-libGL-7.9-6.fc14.armv5tel has missing requires of
>> mesa-dri-drivers(armv5tel-32) = ('0', '7.9', '6.fc14')
>>

> Chris:
>

> I believe that you can safely ignore the 'mesa' yum check error. AFAIK
> these drivers are omitted by design.  yum check will give the same errors
> on all the new XO builds, as the DRI modules are not used on the XO and are
> no longer shipped to save a large amount of space - especially on the XO-1.
>  The other messages re dependencies, perhaps Mr Robinson can more
> efficiently say if there are the necessary arm builds in the repos, or
> whether he can generate them easily..
>

> Kevin,
>

>From following the discussion on this list, I recalled something about
mesa-dri-drivers and had an inkling that the yum check error for that
package was neither unexpected or necessarily a significant issue.  I
certainly apologize if my characterization of what I understood to be a
necessary and sensible compromise for the sake of space-savings is
inaccurate in detail, but I thought I had i it right in spirit.

The history of the aeidon package details within Fedora repos that Dwayne
describes goes beyond my understanding of packaging nitty-gritty, but I
hope and imagine it would be well-understood by someone like Peter or
Daniel.

cjl