[Techteam] 12.1.0 devel build 1 released, for XO-1.5 and XO-1

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Mon Nov 7 09:41:54 EST 2011

On Mon, Nov 7, 2011 at 2:32 PM, Martin Langhoff <martin at laptop.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 7, 2011 at 9:26 AM, Peter Robinson <pbrobinson at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Nov 7, 2011 at 2:21 PM, Martin Langhoff <martin at laptop.org> wrote:
>>> Excellent! Thanks for this!
>>> I am pretty worried with the removal of gnome fallback -- I can't see
>>> sw rendering being usable on XO-1, and probably a lot of magic will be
>>> required for a bearable user experience on XO-1.5.
>>
>> I don't think its the case for F17, but likely will be in the future.
>
> Hmmm, ajax and Adam Williamson are talking about rawhide. Rawhide
> hasn't forked for F17, so when I read:
>
> On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 5:57 PM, Adam Jackson <ajax at redhat.com> wrote:
>> As of tomorrow's rawhide [1], gnome-session will no longer treat
>> llvmpipe as an unsupported driver.  This means gnome-shell will run even
>> on hardware without a native 3D driver, including virt guests.
>
> I read "it's coming to F17". No maybes; unless we organize a big
> browhaha on fedora-devel, file tearful bugs, and generally stage a
> drama about this to lobby for a reversal.

Yes, its coming to F17 as a feature, as I said previously, that
doesn't mean that Fallback mode is going away in F17. I suspect
depending on how this process goes as part of F17 the fallback mode
will then likely disappear in F18. The FPL already has a XO-1 and from
the "merge the big XO F7 fork back into Fedora" that happened around
F9/10 there were around 50 odd XO-1s distributed through the community
then.

What is the state of merging out VIA driver back into mainline? That
would certainly help from the XO 1.5 PoV.

Peter