11.3.0 -> SD Card?

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Thu Nov 3 16:35:42 EDT 2011

On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 3:41 PM, Carlos Nazareno <object404 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Congratulations on the release guys!

Thanks!

> Q: is there a way to install 11.3.0 on an SD card for the XO-1 like
> with alternate OSes on XOs instead of using the local flash storage?

 - grab the tar.gz
 - format your SD card as ext4
 - untar to the root of the SD card

no warranties expressed or implied. Might need additional minor
tweaking to actually work. Probably gets profoundly borked in
suspend/resume(!).

If you trust the SD card FTL, pre-partition it to have a swap
partition as well. Once up and running, configure linux to use it.
With the limited RAM on XO-1, it's a great

Moving some parts of the OS out might be saner, as Gonzalo suggests.
Perhaps /usr, /home/, /var...  and that swap I mentioned.

cheers,

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions