11.3.0 -> SD Card?

Carlos Nazareno object404 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 3 16:26:29 EDT 2011

On 11/4/11, Gonzalo Odiard <gonzalo at laptop.org> wrote:
> Why not install the image in the local flash and use the SD to save the
> content?
>
> Gonzalo

Well, doesn't also work when users install a number of activities and
applications if they switch to Gnome :-/

(like JDK which is now very large... Processing which can be taught to
older kids is about 80MB when unpacked (minus JRE))

Another reason is that if too many sectors on local flash become bad,
the ability to run from SD is a big plus - as we all know flash
storage has a read-write lifespan and web-centric behavior these days
tends to be cache-heavy on read-writes (browser cache, streaming
video, audio, etc)

As an aside, I'd like to give kudos again to you guys who keep making
this happen -- the advantage of the XO over something like Android is
that you can actually use it to build apps to run on itself (beyond
Javascript), and nowadays, I think it's what separates "devices" from
"computers" given that devices these days have insane amounts of
horsepower (and apps still manage to run like crap).

I think most average developers these days don't know how to optimize
stuff for performance (or even care for that matter) and have gotten
lazy from Moore's law. It's become more relevant today than ever now
that computing has started shifting more to mobile space and it's
becoming the norm, and lazy reliance on Moore's law is a vicious cycle
which has a horrific effect on the environment & sustainable computing
(e-waste, power crisis).

Regards,

-Naz

--