[OLPC-AU] XO-1.75 relative performance

Sridhar Dhanapalan sridhar at laptop.org.au
Tue Nov 1 18:50:43 EDT 2011

On 2 November 2011 09:16, James Cameron <quozl at laptop.org> wrote:
> I'm not aware of any comprehensive performance assessments.
>
> Have you got an XO-1.75 yet?
>
> Performance is a design goal of OLPC, but it isn't first in the list.
> The full list is:
>
> 1.  Safe -- no children should be harmed
>
> 2.  Stylish and Usable -- something children want to own
>
> 3.  Lowest Power -- low power means longer run-time
>
> 4.  Lowest Cost -- a lower cost means more children can have one
>
> 5.  Robust and Maintainable -- children drop things
>
> 6.  Performance (speed)
>
> If we find we are sacrificing, say, "Lowest Power" for "Performance"
> reasons, we would be obliged to think again.

It is good that this is being considered in perspective, and I agree
with this prioritisation. Most other devices do not place as much
emphasis on all of these points, so I acknowledge that they may be
faster as a result.

What I am trying to do is get a general idea of the capabilities of
the XO-1.75, relative to something that is already available and
known. This is more for communications purposes than
engineering/technical ones.

Sridhar