problem solved (Re: new OLPC slackware 13.37 released (fwd)

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Tue May 31 06:20:23 EDT 2011

On Mon, May 30, 2011 at 09:07:59PM +0700, supat at supat.eu.org wrote:
> On Mon, 30 May 2011, mokurai at earthtreasury.org wrote:
> > Have you added this download to the Wiki?
> No. I never did so.
> Please let me know why I have to do so?

It is not mandatory, but it is optional, and helpful.

Documentation in the Wiki is beneficial to future users, or current
users who may wish to try Slackware on their OLPC XO.  Many of these
users are not on this e-mail list.

It is really your choice whether to publish on the Wiki, but if you do
not do it someone else may do it, and the message they write may not be
to your liking.  Have some faith in the value of your work, don't just
abandon it like a stray pet.

For instance, for the Tiny Core Linux builds, we have a Wiki page on
OLPC Wiki http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Tiny_Core_Linux

And we have a general "Minimal Linux Distributions" page at
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Minimal_Linux_distros which mentions four
Slackware based distributions that are not known to be available for the
OLPC XO.

And we have a "Sugar on Slackware" page at
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Sugar_on_Slackware which says nothing useful,
yet points to the Sugar Labs Wiki which has nothing useful on Slackware.

Anyone reading the Wiki now, looking for Slackware information, would
naturally conclude there is nothing available.

If your work is not for general use, then fine, keep it silent.

Your work does seem opaque ... you have not shown *how* you made the
build, and therefore it is not publically reproducible ... and the sum
of knowledge has not increased markedly.  But the same can be said for
some other builds, yet they are of use.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/