Disabling prelink in software builds

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Tue May 17 16:07:31 EDT 2011

On Tue, May 17, 2011 at 3:58 PM, John Gilmore <gnu at toad.com> wrote:
> Measurements made immediately after booting, when there's little or no
> memory pressure, won't tell you anything about this aspect of prelink.
> You have to look at /proc/XXXXXX/smaps in a running system that IS
> under memory pressure, to notice that much more of the memory of the
> inactive processes has been released from DRAM, than in a
> non-prelinked system under memory pressure.

Good point. As a testing method, so should we ... ?

 - boot to Sugar
 - open browse
 - login to gmail or a similarly heavy modern webapp
 - log output of ps_mem.py (which uses smaps)

Or is there an equivalent of ps_mem.py that will give us better
interesting numbers to compare?

Should we ... ?

 - boot to Sugar
 - open activities until we OOM - logging how far we get

cheers,

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions