XO-1 developer key does not work

Sridhar Dhanapalan sridhar at laptop.org.au
Fri Mar 11 23:46:02 EST 2011

On 12 March 2011 05:10, C. Scott Ananian <cscott at cscott.net> wrote:
> Posting your machine's serial number as well as then contents of your
> develop.sig might help; your developer key might be malformed or
> correspond to a different XO than the one you are trying to use it on.
>
> You can also try the collection key method, as one more check on the
> process by which you are generating the developer key.

This is a bit strange - I am getting a different result for each method.

Printed in the battery compartment is the serial number SHC83102126

/home/.devkey.html contains:
	SN - SHC8320373E
	UUID - D5576981-BDA0-4271-ABFE-0183633847D1

/ofw/serial-number contains SHC832038CC

laptops.dat (created with a collection key) contains:

	SHC832038CC C95B2B75-18A6-4860-B834-9AEAC7A4C47F 20110312T034351Z

laptops.dat concurs with /ofw/serial-number.

I've used the laptop.dat details to request a developer key. The page
says that it'll be available in 24 hours.

There are three main questions raised by this process:

  1. why am I getting different readings for each method?
  2. what is the most trustworthy method?
  3. why must I wait 24 hours to get the developer key?

Thanks,
Sridhar