870 on XO1

Gary Martin garycmartin at googlemail.com
Sun Jun 26 17:25:01 EDT 2011

On 26 Jun 2011, at 14:20, Daniel Drake wrote:

> On 26 June 2011 00:03, Kevin Gordon <kgordon420 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Folks, on XO 1 with new 870 build :
>>
>> 1) At boot, once the animation has completed its little circle, the screen
>> goes black for about 17 seconds before the favourite wheel comes up. Does
>> this on multiple XO's.  Does not happen on os23.
>
> Thanks, filed as http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/11019

Yes saw this one as well, for the first couple of boots I thought it might be power saving kicking in at the wrong time, glad you've spotted the cause :)

>> 2) In general, boot takes about twice as long on 870 than on os23, again on
>> multiple XO's compared.
>>
>> 3) Activities take longer to launch, flashing icon stays almost twice as
>> long on the screen before the screen comes up than it did on os23 for some.

Just so we have some rough numbers, from power key press to seeing the central XO icon on the Sugar desktop, the previous 11.2.0 os23 started in 60sec, and the new candidate os870 started in 82sec (average over two runs). For activities – excluding the first run case – Moon & Browse both started in 13sec +/-1sec in both builds.

> These are due to the filesystem switch, or more specifically the
> switch in compression methods used. The result is significantly
> reduced disk utilisation (higher compression) but more CPU-intensive
> work needed to read and write files. Unfortunate, but true. A slowdown
> is expected, as a tradeoff for not shipping a nearly-full disk.
>
> What we've effectively done is reverted to what we had for 10.1.3. So,
> a more interesting comparison would be observing build 860 at the side
> of build 870. Bear in mind that some activities take a lot longer to
> launch the first time after flashing, e.g. Browse and Record, so care
> is needed to ensure the comparison is fair.

I didn't check 11.2.0 os23 (and don't have that build here to re-flash again), but on a clean os870, a Terminal df -h  says 69% (699Mb) used.

Regards,
--Gary