Screen dimming XO1 vs XO 1.5

Kevin Gordon kgordon420 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 26 10:22:52 EDT 2011

Sorry, soon I will learn to use terminology correctly.  In this case, by dim
I meant instant off.  :-)

If I just walk away from an XO1 leaving it up, let's say, on the favourites
wheel, after about 15 mins the screen backlight goes off, not dark, not dim,
it goes completely off. This is with no power saving settings checked on.  I
dont think it's officially sleeping, or idle, since the 'activity' lights
are still flashing, and the unit appears to still be on the WIFI lan.
Tapping on a key brings the screen back on, and it would appear nothing else
is 'resuming', because the rest of the box responds instantly, and to me
still seems to have continued as active.  As, I said, this to me is a
'desired' behaviour.  This is on os23 and 870 on the XO1.

With no power saving setting checked on the XO 1.5 walking away for, o,
let's say, 24 hours,  upon return, the screen is still on at full
brightness.

I'm also now testing simultaneously with 860 on an XO-1  to see if this
screen-off is something 'new'.  20 minutes have already passed with no
'screen off' occurring, but stay tuned.  I'm going to leave it on, and go
out and cut the grass.  I'll then also simultaneously  try the same 4
scenarios in gnome upon return as well.  (XO 1.0/860, XO 1.0/870, XO
1.0/os23, XO1.5/870)

Cheers,

KG