XO-1 touchpad once more [Devel Digest, Vol 64, Issue 28]

John Gilmore gnu at toad.com
Thu Jun 23 22:04:13 EDT 2011

> > Anyway to quantify touchpad use and behaivor in F9 builds?
>
> I don't know of any way that involves only the laptop or software.
>
> Quantifying use and behaviour would require a video camera on both the
> touchpad and the screen.  Or accurate reporting from both people who
> experience a problem and those who do not.  Self selected reporting from
> community enthusiasts isn't as reliable.

It might be possible for testers to tape a small mirror on their XO
camera (perhaps 1cm square), so it can see the touchpad.  Run a test
program in the background that records the video into a circular RAM
buffer, and saves a chunk of it whenever it sees the pointer jump.
Then go on doing what you usually do on the XO.  An engineer can later
look at those saved videos to see how many of the pointer jumps
happened without a corresponding finger motion.

	John