olpc-update works on XO-1!

Yioryos Asprobounitis mavrothal at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 17 18:05:40 EDT 2011

--- On Fri, 6/17/11, Daniel Drake <dsd at laptop.org> wrote:

> From: Daniel Drake <dsd at laptop.org>
> Subject: Re: olpc-update works on XO-1!
> To: "Yioryos Asprobounitis" <mavrothal at yahoo.com>
> Cc: "Martin Langhoff" <martin.langhoff at gmail.com>, "OLPC Devel" <devel at lists.laptop.org>
> Date: Friday, June 17, 2011, 7:35 AM
> On 16 June 2011 19:14, Yioryos
> Asprobounitis <mavrothal at yahoo.com>
> wrote:
> > Yes it did. After the update I have 199MB
> > Actually I'm using a little script [1] to remove
> things (I think) are not needed from the F14 builds. So
> after boot was 137MB and after I run the script again went
> back to 199MB.
> > The bonus point is that even with a build that had
> 55MB worth of compressed data removed the update worked, so
> it may even work from 10.1.3 builds (maybe with some
> additional space)
>
> You can't extrapolate your numbers to the upgrade path from
> 10.1.3
> because 10.1.3 used a different filesystem. But yes, I am
> also
> confident that it will work, possibly even without much
> disk space
> freeing.

Well, the good news is that updating from os860 tp os23 is possible!
The bad news is that it needs ~470MB of free space to work and os860 pristine leaves only ~380MB free.
Deleting ~/Library/* and ~/Activities/TamTam* will generate the required space. (I actually also removed ~/Activities/Help and TurtleArt)
After reboot os23 looks ~100MB bigger that os860 (can tell exactly since the size of removed files was calculated by `du' instead of `df').
After software update to install missing activities and Library the available space is 320MB, so just 60MB bigger than os860.
jffs2 looks ~100MB smaller than ubifs!
In conclusion, updating from 10.1.3 is possible but not for routine use in its current state.