XO-1 touchpad once more [Devel Digest, Vol 64, Issue 28]

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Wed Jun 15 03:11:13 EDT 2011

On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 11:28:54PM -0700, Yioryos Asprobounitis wrote:
> Or people just gave up on expecting a fix on this well known and
> publicized problem and use an external mouse.

Yes, that's a possibility too.  One child I test with insists on an
external mouse, even if I'm offering them an XO-1.5 - which has an
entirely different touchpad model that has never shown the symptom.

> However, I do not think that "is not a big issue" if newer builds
> indeed make it worse.

I don't see enough data that newer builds make it worse, but data would
be useful.  I'd like this to be evidence based.  How would you capture
the data reliably?

> On that matter, I was thinking that the kbdshim debug option could
> provide touchpad use data and compare it to jumping events.

Ah, you're beyond my knowledge at this point.

> Anyway to quantify touchpad use and behaivor in F9 builds?

I don't know of any way that involves only the laptop or software.

Quantifying use and behaviour would require a video camera on both the
touchpad and the screen.  Or accurate reporting from both people who
experience a problem and those who do not.  Self selected reporting from
community enthusiasts isn't as reliable.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/