XO-1 touchpad once more

Yioryos Asprobounitis mavrothal at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 13 15:36:42 EDT 2011

I came across a forum post [1] (last sentence) that remind it me once more the  ALPS XO-1 touchpad issue.
In all the post os802 builds, OLPC 10.1.x, Dextrose 2x and OLPC 11.2.0, the problem is *considerably* worse eg much more often and persistent than in F9 builds.

The fact that the touchpad was jumpy before, may result in labeling this "not a regression". But is clearly NOT the case.
With post F9 builds is really hard to use first generation XO-1s without a mouse.
Before was bad, now is close to intolerable.
I can appreciate that ALPS XO-1s are long EOL and newer builds and hardware are more pressing matters, but we are talking probably half the OLPC installed base here that may not be able to be fully benefited by the newer builds.

I do not think that should be seen as a secondary issue or something that there is nothing to be done about.
Yes, it is a hardware problem in its core but it was not that bad in older builds.
So something should/could be done to at least go back to that level of discomfort.

What about going back to the 2.6.25 driver?
Even without auto-recalibration provided a better user experience apparently.

[1] http://www.olpcnews.com/forum/index.php?topic=5000