[IAEP] Turtles All The Way Out

C. Scott Ananian cscott at laptop.org
Sat Jun 11 00:40:34 EDT 2011

On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 8:11 PM, John Gilmore <gnu at toad.com> wrote:
> Don Hopkins worked on a PostScript-based window system (HyperLook)
> that would let you "flip over" an object on the screen to see "behind
> it" a control panel with the guts of its implementation visible.  You
> could modify those, then "flip it back" and it would resume running.
> See: http://www.art.net/~hopkins/Don/hyperlook/index.html and
> http://www.art.net/~hopkins/Don/simcity/hyperlook-demo.html .

"Self: The Movie" is also worth watching.  The self guys thought that
continuous execution of the code was important for liveness, along
with some other views (like direct correspondence between objects and
representation) which I don't think I actually agree with.  But still,
worth thinking about:
   http://www.smalltalk.org.br/movies/
  --scott

--