Sugar Commander

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Sat Jul 23 08:41:54 EDT 2011

On Sat, Jul 23, 2011 at 1:06 AM, Carlos Nazareno <object404 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>You can see the contents of thumb
>> drives and SD cards as a hierarchical file system instead of as imitating
>> the Journal.  You can copy files into the Journal from anywhere on the file
>> system.  It is my idea of what the Journal should be like.  You can check it
>> out here:
>>

> *thank god*
>
> I'm sorry, I don't mean to ruffle any feathers, but the flat journal
> is a really broken model when you stick in a USB stick with 2000+
> files in heirarchical directories and you want to copy files to XO's
> journal (like ebook pdfs).
>
> It just becomes plain unusable.
>
> It's fine when you have a few files on your USB stick, but if it's a
> USB stick that's in common use with hundreds of files and you just
> want to sneakernet a few files to XOOS-Sugar from one machine to the
> XO, it's a real pain (so much so that I just backed up the contents of
> my USB stick, deleted everything except the files I wanted to transfer
> to XO-Sugar, then did the transer).
>
> Telling people to just use the command line or midnight commander is
> not a solution, it's a hack because you're breaking out of the sugar
> model/system. The better solution would be something like the above,
> an alternate file browser that's a native sugar app.
>
> Kudos!

Nothing wrong with providing alternative approaches (a similar
activity was written by Ceibal in 2007 for exactly this purpose as I
recall) and fixing corner cases (I think the USB indexing issue was
addressed in more recent Sugar builds), but please do not confine the
vision of the Journal as simply a replacement for the file manager.

Please see http://activities.sugarlabs.org/en-US/sugar/addon/4437

"It is my idea of what the Journal should be like."

regards.

-walter

> --
> carlos nazareno