localpkg helper script for fedpkg

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Tue Jan 25 16:11:13 EST 2011

If you are using or experimenting with fedpkg, I am putting some
simple helper bits in an accessory "localpkg" python script (at
http://dev.laptop.org/git/users/martin/localpkg or
git://dev.laptop.org/users/martin/localpkg  ).

It currently has some helpers that allow me to build straight from a
git checkout. Useful for tiny, non-upstream codebases that pack their
own spec file.

Uses git-describe so it will build a properly named rpm if you are on
a named tag. Otherwise it builds with a version name that includes the
commit hash.

localpkg --help
usage: locakpkg [-h] [--path PATH] [-v] [-q]
                {setver,git-source,help,publish-xs} ...

Local Packaging utility

optional arguments:
  -h, --help            show this help message and exit
  --path PATH           Directory to interact with instead of current dir
  -v                    Run with verbose debug output
  -q                    Run quietly only displaying errors

Targets:
  {setver,git-source,help,publish-xs}
    help                Show usage
    setver              Set the version in spec from git describe
    git-source          Get the source for current HEAD from local git, and
                        update sources file
    publish-xs          Publish RPMs to XS repo

How do I use it?

  - hack on the source

  - commit. it is safe to ignore version change in spec file

  - fixup the version in spec to match git-describe
   $ localpkg setver

  - get tarball from git, update 'sources' file
   $ localpkg git-source

  - build the rpms, locally or on koji - here I request a local build
   $ fedpkg local

  - copy to the right spots
   $ localpkg publish-xs

These things are fairly "local" -- hence no fedpkg patches of interest
I suspect.

cheers,

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions