[support-gang] [ANNOUNCE] OLPC OS 10.1.3 final release

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Sun Jan 16 16:28:04 EST 2011

On Sun, Jan 16, 2011 at 02:47:00PM -0500, Kevin Gordon wrote:
> I notice that the link for this release is still over at
> build.laptop.org with full access to the parent and sub-directories
> available.

But the links in the release notes are to files, not to directories, so
the user has to first strip the file name and manually open the
directory, before they are at any risk.

> I had thought that an 'official' release would generally be placed
> over in download.laptop.org so that non-developers wouldn't get
> confused with the slew of new stuff like: F-12 ARM and F14.

But a similar problem will also occur on download.laptop.org, since
it contains builds that won't work on XO-1.5, or have not been tested
with newer firmware.

> Or, regular users might get curious and load temp or broken builds and
> software by mistake.

I don't think there is any substantial risk of this, but on the other
hand, I look forward to users making these mistakes and learning in
their fashion, as that will get them started into testing contributions.
We need a lower barrier of involvement not a higher one.

I expect the build will move eventually, along with an update to the
main page on http://download.laptop.org/ which still lists 10.1.2 as
latest stable.

I think the real reasons for moving to download.laptop.org are:

1.  our other mirrors, such as the one in Australia, will pick up the
build,

2.  all stable builds in one place.

--
James Cameron