USB Ethernet test

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Tue Jan 11 19:11:19 EST 2011

On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 11:46:24PM +0000, Gary Martin wrote:
> Ooh, interesting. I take it the below 'indicate connected to provider
> and, I seem to be able to talk to some Internet servers' is the UI
> direction you've seen provided for this before?

On those routers and last mile devices, yes.  Looking at the internal
configuration, some of them have host names of test sites, especially
those maintained by the provider.

> FWIW: OS X uses a red (no network), amber (a network found), green
> (can talk to some remote Internet server) visual warning on network
> status.

Oh, on the Network panel of the System Preferences dialog.  Not on the
top bar.  Interesting.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/