USB Ethernet test

Gary Martin garycmartin at
Tue Jan 11 18:46:24 EST 2011

On 11 Jan 2011, at 22:57, James Cameron <quozl at> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 02:40:23PM -0300, Martin Abente wrote:
>> Researching on the web, I found this [1]. Basically autoip was causing
>> confusion when making the users to believe that the ethernet
>> connection was _always_ successful.
> Caused by conflating two concepts; network interface configured, vs user
> perception of a useful network.
> I disagree with Jerone.  The connection is not useless, it is ready.
> Once another node joins the network, it will be accessible.  However, I
> don't think the connection state should be given to the user as a claim
> that they have a useful network that will carry their packets to the
> internet.  That's a fundamental design issue.

Ooh, interesting. I take it the below 'indicate connected to provider and, I seem to be able to talk to some Internet servers' is the UI direction you've seen provided for this before? FWIW: OS X uses a red (no network), amber (a network found), green (can talk to some remote Internet server) visual warning on network status.