Flash

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Thu Feb 24 01:23:10 EST 2011

On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 9:02 PM, James Cameron <quozl at laptop.org> wrote:
> No, there is no "best practice" rule.

Well, we are learning some things, so yeah, we do have some "getting
better" practices at least :-)

So far

As noted by Jon Nettleton

 - latest flash plugin helps

 - once 11.2.0 is out, you'll enjoy the new openchrome drivers that
bring all the bling

Also -- stay away from AdobeAIR, and I guess any non-browser-based
Flash/Shockwave player implementation. A frequent practice when
authoring (programming?) flash / shockwave content is to create
several "movies" or "scores" and switch liberally between them (with
calls like LoadMovie()).

It seems that when you switch "scores", the player does funny things
with creation/destruction of windows. Sugar expects that activities
create _one_ window during their lifetime. There's a patch in sugar
master to help it cope with some reasonable window changes, but it
doesn't always catch what AIR is doing.

Perhaps authoring without LoadMovie() helps. Dunno. If you must use
Adobe AIR, do plan for extensive testing of the interactions with the
WM.

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions