10.1.3 image and Firmware q2e42

Daniel Castelo dcastelo at plan.ceibal.edu.uy
Thu Feb 17 08:50:52 EST 2011

On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 8:18 PM, Martin Langhoff
<martin.langhoff at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 5:06 PM, James Cameron <quozl at laptop.org> wrote:
> > If you based your image on OLPC OS 10.1.3 then after installation the
> > firmware will be automatically upgraded to Q2E45, so you should test
> > with Q2E45.
> Daniel -
> James is right here. Just include /boot/bootfw.zip in your image
> (os-builder will do the right thing if you provide the "unsigned"
> bootfw rpm and follow the signing procedures).

For some bad experiences that we had in the past, the decision is not allow
users to update the firmware. Just our technical team (and maybe volunteers)
will do it.  I know that we could include the firmware updating process in
our software image release. I am pretty sure that all the bad experiences
that support this decision are related to an old firmware version. I suppose
that a good way to ensure that users could update the firmware without
problems is make a pilot. But we don't have enough time now, maybe for the
next firmware release.

> Right after install, each boot will check if there is battery+external
> power, and if those 2 conditions are met, will upgrade OFW.
> About your keyboard issues -- things have changed a bit from 8.2.x to
> 10.1.x in how we manage the keyboard. Can you tell us what you're
> trying to do (perhaps in a separate email thread), and we'll find a
> good way to do it.
> cheers,
>  martin.langhoff at gmail.com
>  martin at laptop.org -- Software Architect - OLPC