turn off logs?

Sameer Verma sverma at sfsu.edu
Mon Feb 7 16:32:37 EST 2011

This came up in another context (SoaS running in read-only mode [1])
but I was wondering if we need to run logs on any activities on the XO
1 and 1.5 given that 1) the storage is solid state, 2) the writing of
logs *could* bog down the I/O queue and 3) are we using the logs for
anything at all? If not, then why bother?

Just a thought.

cheers,
Sameer

[1] The idea came from another project called Pebble Linux
(http://www.nycwireless.net/supernode/pebble-linux/ Successor to the
original Nocat effort), where we had a small footprint (48MB, I think)
Debian OS used for routing, etc. and it booted into a RO mode. Nothing
was written to the CF card. At boot, the OS created a temp partition
in the RAM and mounted /var there. Logs weren't being used for
anything, so these were promptly thrown away at every reboot. You
could yank the power and not corrupt anything. Would such an approach
work on the XOs? Make an improvement?