Language support for 11.2.0

Daniel Drake dsd at laptop.org
Sun Feb 6 07:42:40 EST 2011

On 4 February 2011 13:42, Peter Robinson <pbrobinson at gmail.com> wrote:
> en_UK please.

If you tell me that there's an active UK deployment or that one is
likely to happen in the next 6 months then I'll add it, but we do need
to keep this limited to actual deployments to avoid proliferation.

Also, as there are no XO laptops which come with the manufacturing
data set to en_UK, you will have to hack the build, adjust the
manufacturing data of all the laptops, or manually change the locale
after installing the systems.

One thing I forgot to mention in the original mail is that respinning
new builds with different locale choices is easier than ever, and that
we still expect most deployments to spin their own release builds even
if their language was already included (due to other customization
choices such as activity sets, gnome or no gnome, ...). The key reason
for having a language included in the official development builds is
so that you can monitor translations as development progresses -
asking deployments to respin the final release build is perhaps no big
deal, but asking them to continually respin the ongoing development
builds (for continual translation review and testing) is probably
asking a bit much.

Daniel