[OLPC Engineering] [Techteam] New F14-arm build os40 - Almost in sync with x86!

Daniel Drake dsd at laptop.org
Tue Aug 23 11:38:53 EDT 2011

On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 3:05 PM, Peter Robinson <pbrobinson at gmail.com> wrote:
> This is why SOPs are good. I think there was half a dozen or so
> replies (both on list and IRC) as to what people though the procedure
> was. If there was a group of OOB SOPs for both Stable and Dev releases
> it would all be nicely documented somewhere central :-)

Just to add what I mentioned on IRC, there is already quite extensive
documentation for the release process and details such as these:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Release_Process (and sub pages)

It is perhaps lacking in some details on this particular point (such
as the exact olpc-os-builder config lines needed to implement the
process as described), but if people read that, discussions such as
these would not veer so far off-course.

These difficulties are also temporary, Peter seems to have been thrown
various release manager tasks which he will not have to deal with once
the ARM work joins the 11.3.0 stream. This should be the priority; I
think it would be beneficial if we were to be more understanding that
ARM builds are currently not fully in sync. Once Peter has managed to
eliminate the remaining package differences, allowing him to join the
stream, many of these problems will be automatically resolved (through
updated packages, and through not duplicating release management
work). Providing Peter with less distractions so that he can focus on
the real issues would probably be beneficial.

I am not away, I am responsive to emails and IRC every day, and I am
working. I simply don't have as many hours available as normal for a
little while longer.

Daniel