License files - L10n

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Tue Aug 16 20:02:30 EDT 2011

(repost from trac)

-1, simple is the enemy of the good.

We must not replace the English version of the GPL and LGPL licenses,
since these are the forms in which the licenses are granted. We must
continue to display these.

We should provide translation of all user-displayed strings in what we
ship.

Since we can't not-ship the licenses, we have to consider them.

We should include translations of the interactive notices:

    This program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details type `show w'.
    under certain conditions; type `show c' for details.

We should include translations of the licenses. There are translations
available. Where a translation is not available, a new one should be
created. We should translate as much as we can, as best we can, and be
prepared to correct the translations. The translations we ship should
explicitly deny that they replace the English license.

Since there is already an upstream translation effort, it should be
engaged. It can surely help.

For presentation, I'd like to see:

* the English notice side by side with the translated notice, at Sugar startup, (find out from the Sugar Labs Design Team how they would like to do this),

* the English license side by side with the translated license, in the
* My Settings - About my Computer.

Currently, we have a translated notice, and an untranslated license.
This is adequate, but not good.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/