What to do when you receive your XO-1.75 -

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Mon Aug 15 17:06:10 EDT 2011

Quick notes from some FAQs that have been bouncing over IRC...

(This is a lightly edited version of a great email by Simon -- thanks!)

When you receive the XO-1.75... it will NOT boot; it will only light
up the screen. You need to "unbrick" it with a serial adapter --
instructions at [1].

Once the machine is unbricked, download the latest build from [2] and
flashed it using the same command (fs-update) as with the 1.5 builds.

Peter will soon post a new build there.

Some activities don't start due to missing packages (TamTam* is
missing csound, etc). To check if the package was available in Koji,
see the ARM page for Koji [3]. Another useful resource about ARM on
Fedora is [4].

I than tried to update the build since Peter said that there would be
more pending packages but even after editing my yum config I was not
able to access the repository [5] - according to Peter's last mail
this looks like taken care of.

To find out which bugs are already known, see [6]. File
software/hardware related bugs into those milestones whenever you
think they are specific to XO-1.75 .

Other important notes:

 - Grab a build newer than os36 to have a working yum repo config. You
will have to disable gpg checks.

 - The camera WORKS, and pretty well -- just modprobe mmp-camera . See
/runin/runin-camera for how to drive a gstreamer pipeline for it.

 - Video driver is pretty slow at the moment, so displaying the camera
input sucks up CPU. We have top talent working on an accelerated
driver...

 - Audio output works, but mixer and input don't. This unfortunately
trips up many programs at the moment.

 - From now on -Peter Robinson- is our buildmaster for ARM. Nag him :-)

 - Ah, put your new rpms in ~/public_rpms/f14-arm/ before nagging Peter!

cheers,

m (who just edited Simon's words a bit)

[1] unbrick the machine: http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XO_1.75_11089_Fix
[2] ARM builds: http://build.laptop.org/F14-arm/