Minor 11.2.0 update problems

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Fri Aug 5 23:39:36 EDT 2011

On Fri, Aug 05, 2011 at 09:53:16PM -0400, Jack Zielke wrote:
> I updated my XO-1 to 11.2.0 today.  I ran into a few minor issues
> that I thought I would mention.
>
> /etc/ssh/ssh_host_*key* were not saved during the update.  I did not
> have a copy of them anywhere so I had to make new keys.  That is a
> bit of an annoyance since I have to remove the old key from each
> machine that I have sshed into the laptop from.

Interesting.  What method did you use to update?

> sshd does not start on boot.  As I am not a redhat person it took a
> little bit of time to find that I wanted to run 'chkconfig sshd on'.

It was disabled as an extra layer of security.  One must now start sshd
and change the password, instead of only changing the password.

> Any warning on sshd changes would have been nice.

Good point.  It wasn't in the release notes.  I've added a tiny section.

> I did check http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Ssh_into_the_XO to make sure
> this was not already documented there.

That page had not been maintained since 2008.  I've adjusted it.  Please
review the page and adjust further based on what you find.  In
particular, the section for Microsoft Windows systems may be out of
date.

> I suspect that the order of things has changed.  It appears that
> Sugar is starting up before /media/* is being mounted.  I had moved
> the larger activities to an SD card and now they no longer show up
> when the laptop boots.  After the GUI is completely drawn I can
> ctrl-alt-backspace to kill X.  When it comes back up all of the
> activities are available.  I think this means that moving /home/olpc
> to the SD card is out of the question.

Interesting.  That sounds like Sugar taking longer than before to start
up, but you're right, it could be an order of things change.  You might
work around it by mounting the SD card in /etc/rc.local.

> These were not huge issues for me but they were different from every
> other upgrade I have done in the past on my XO.

Thanks for your feedback!

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/