Removing linux-firmware from the build [Devel Digest, Vol 65, Issue 52]

Yioryos Asprobounitis mavrothal at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 2 10:35:12 EDT 2011

--- On Mon, 8/1/11, Daniel Drake <dsd at laptop.org> wrote:

> From: Daniel Drake <dsd at laptop.org>
> Subject: Re: Removing linux-firmware from the build [Devel Digest, Vol 65, Issue 52]
> To: "Yioryos Asprobounitis" <mavrothal at yahoo.com>
> Cc: devel at lists.laptop.org
> Date: Monday, August 1, 2011, 3:23 PM
> On 1 August 2011 20:10, Yioryos
> Asprobounitis <mavrothal at yahoo.com>
> wrote:
> > My original report was based on the `df' data.
> > To test how accurate these might be I did the
> following:
>
> To save me the effort of trying to understood exactly what
> you did,
> could you just state how much data from /dev/urandom you
> were able to
> write to disk on freshly-installed 11.2.0, vs 11.3.0 build
> 1?

What "I said" is that `df' is reliable in reporting free space as judged by urandom writes, within  5%.
eg 253MB reported  vs 266MB written in my current ubifs XO-1/os1 and 178MB reported vs 185 MB written in my current jffs2 XO-1/os874.
So whatever intricacies ubifs and jffs2 have, `df' appears to handle them properly.

Now, `df' reported ~270MB available on fresh os1 install vs ~340MB on a fresh os874 install.
Given that dri has been removed from os1, this is an almost 100MB difference.

I'm sure I can jump some more ropes to make the case on a fresh os1 vs a fresh os874, but I do not see any reason.
If the opportunity appears I will. The need for an XO-1 reflashing is not that rare ;-).

In the mean, time given the accuracy of `df', it may worth looking at why /dev/ubi0_0 is only 878MB.