XO-1.75 RAM

Yioryos Asprobounitis mavrothal at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 14 04:21:23 EDT 2011

--- On Thu, 4/14/11, James Cameron <quozl at laptop.org> wrote:

> From: James Cameron <quozl at laptop.org>
> Subject: Re: XO-1.75 RAM
> To: "Yioryos Asprobounitis" <mavrothal at yahoo.com>
> Cc: devel at lists.laptop.org
> Date: Thursday, April 14, 2011, 3:33 AM
> On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 12:01:47AM
> -0700, Yioryos Asprobounitis wrote:
> > For what it worths I have the same SDcard on the XO-1
> with more than
> > 1500 hours of swap use of a 256MB partition, with no
> problem so far.
>
> Cool.  What was the unit cost of the SD card, what
> size was it,

That was/is a $15 Transcend 4GB class 6 card that not only can have 5 erase blocks open but also has an impressive random w/r speed (full flashbence data is attached)

> and how many writes were made over those 1500 hours to the SD card
> as a whole?
>
> (... not just the swap partition, since endurance of the
> card relates to
> total writes to the card).

Sorry no data on this, but the card is also holding an OS. Ubuntu 8.10 till recently and XOpup the last couple of weeks.
Probably 1000 of the 1500 hours where run with this alternative OS, so I would think "a lot" of writes.
Two caveats though, the card spend half of its life with an ext2 file system and the other half with an ext3.
My Ubuntu OS was configured with `vm.swappiness=0' (no swappiness settings for the OLPC builds in the NAND).