Power Mangement XO 1.0

Chris Ball cjb at laptop.org
Mon Apr 4 00:38:56 EDT 2011

Hi Matías,

On Fri, Apr 01 2011, Matías Poloni wrote:
> I'm trying to reduce power consumption of the XO 1.0. I've notice in
> this power distribution scheme that it is possible to power off some
> devices when suspended or running (like the DCON with the command echo
> "1" > /sys/devices/platform/dcon/sleep). But I couldn't find more
> information related with this issue.

That's right.  Another is the WLAN, you can power it down with "echo 0 >
/sys/power/wlan_enabled".

> I would like to know weather is possible to reduce power
> significantly, turning off things I do not need like keyboard,
> touchpad, webcam, audio amp, etc.

The keyboard and touchpad use insignificant power; the webcam and audio
stay powered off until you are using them.  The webcam and audio are
only powered on if the LED lights on the left- and right-hand side of
the screen are turned on.  Otherwise, they don't use any power.

The program "powerd" on recent builds attempts to do what you are
describing, by powering down devices when they are idle.

- Chris.
--
Chris Ball   <cjb at laptop.org>   <http://printf.net/>
One Laptop Per Child