Bad interaction between sleep timeouts and Salut?

John Gilmore gnu at toad.com
Thu Sep 16 13:11:56 EDT 2010

It's pretty simple, actually.  When in "idle suspend", the system should
remain fully functional, just burning fewer ergs.  It's an optimization,
not a change of behavior.

This means the system should wake up anytime it would've gotten an
interrupt during normal operation.  Which means for any unicast
packet, any ARP packet directed to it, and any multicast packet that
it's listening for.

But people keep insisting on making this simplicity complicated, and
thus trying to figure out "how we can disable idle suspend while doing
multicast collab" or "how we can send more or fewer packets to
suspended laptops" or whatever.  Just fix the bugs and it'll work a
whole lot better.  THEN if you have a performance problem, and only
then, start to optimize it by fiddling with timers and disables and
such.

	John