[support-gang] [IAEP] Announcing the OLPC OS 10.1.2 final release!

Kevin Mark kevin.mark at verizon.net
Tue Sep 7 07:00:42 EDT 2010

On Mon, Sep 06, 2010 at 10:16:42AM -0700, Sameer Verma wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 5, 2010 at 8:10 PM, James Cameron <quozl at laptop.org> wrote:
> > On Fri, Sep 03, 2010 at 06:12:56PM -0700, Cherry Withers wrote:
> >> Ok. I MIGHT have found the culprit to my "XO 1.5 firmware not
> >> updating" issue. I noticed my laptop that's plugged in to a surge
> >> protector (the same surge protector that I used when I updated the
> >> 1.5) , momentarily dimmed when I moved the surge protector with my
> >> foot. I just noticed that today. So I plugged in my XO 1.0 to a wall
> >> socket instead to update and both the Sugar and Firmware updated to
> >> the latest release build. Will investigate further with XO 1.5 when
> >> I'm ready.
> >
> > Excellent.  Yes, you've found a potential cause alright.
> >
> > Most other non-XO laptops won't indicate the presence of external power
> > if that external power is below par in some way, such as a bad
> > connection in a surge protector.
> >
> > OLPC XO laptops are different, because they are intended to be charged
> > directly from a solar panel as well.  The difference means that an OLPC
> > XO laptop may indicate with the power LED that it is connected to power,
> > yet that power may not be sufficient to maintain the battery charge or
> > upgrade firmware.
> >
> > --
> > James Cameron
> > http://quozl.linux.org.au/
>
> James,
>
> I've noticed this when updating fully drained XOs. The power indicator
> blinks when plugged in, but upon reflashing, when the XO reboots, it
> won't apply the firmware because the battery is too low, and will skip
> to booting into the new OS image.

Would it be worth someones time to find a way to notify the user about this:
That it is waiting to be plugged-in or for sufficient voltage before it
completes the firmware upgrade.
Would this be OFW or OLPC OS work?
--
|  .''`.  == Debian GNU/Linux ==.| http://kevix.myopenid.com......|
| : :' :     The Universal OS....| mysite.verizon.net/kevin.mark/.|