Initial F14 developers-only release for XO and XO-1.5

Mikus Grinbergs mikus at bga.com
Sat Sep 4 20:00:26 EDT 2010

>> For instance, Read-87 fails to launch on XO-1 os1 (F14) when it tries to
>>  'import evince'.  Though the necessary gnome-python2-evince package was
>> not included in the os1 build, when I manually install that package from
>> the yum Fedora-14 repositories, the import statement still fails --
>> apparently because the evince.so module provided by the current
>> Fedora-14 package has internal inconsistencies.  I myself do not have a
>> Python test case which does 'import evince' - nor do I have a patch -
>> but perhaps the maintainers of the Read Activity might want to discuss
>> this situation with the maintainers of Python on Fedora 14.
>
> As this is a topic purely related to Sugar you are welcome to file a
> bug on the SL bug tracker, or start a discussion on the sugar mailing
> list.

Daniel - I deliberately posted to fedora-olpc-list with a
hard-to-pin-down situation (in hopes that someone other than you would
read it).  The error in this case (shown in the log attached to my post)
is "ImportError: /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/gtk-2.0/evince.so:
undefined symbol: ev_selection_get_selection_map".

I expect that Sugar's invocation ('import evince') has not changed since
F11, where it works.  But the called 'evince.so' module is smaller in
F11 (and has other install dependencies), whereas it has grown to three
times that size in F14.  Is it kosher to file a bug against Sugar
because something *called* by Sugar has (in the version fetched by 'yum'
when running build os1) a problem in F14 ?   I don't know the answer.

> nobody other than me is fixing the problems right now

Bummer.  I do think that problems with the 'evince.so' that came from an
F14 yum repository ought to be off your radar.

> I'm just trying to focus and organize the OS-level work, and to avoid
> wasting time on bug tracking in this early stage.

My question assumed that if a symptom shows up in 'Object Chooser' in
0.90 (which the XO-1 installs with F14), then "bug tracking" would not
need to be performed SEPARATELY for F14 than the "bug tracking" already
being done for 0.84 (which is included in, say, Milestone 10.0.3).

If nobody other than you looks at things uncovered in os1 but unrelated
to "construction of an F14 build that will run on the XO" -- then I
guess I would describe their attitude as "problems are real only if they
show up in 'officially released' builds".   Oh well.

mikus

p.s.  My most obvious problem at first with os1 was the inability to use
the keyboard arrow keys in 'vi' in Terminal (I switched to using the
hjkl keys instead);  plus the presence of garbage text in the background
of the 'vi' screen.  Also, I couldn't get to a text console.

Eventually, I went into 'My Settings' -> 'Keyboard' and specified a more
appropriate keyboard model.  That seemed to "activate" the <ctl-alt-Fn>
sequence that allows me to get into a text console -- and now in a text
console 'vi' works properly with os1.