[IAEP] "Mesh" Dreams = OLSR

Mike Dawson mikeofmanchester at gmail.com
Thu Sep 2 18:36:21 EDT 2010

Hi,

Sorry for my late reply to this.  Actually we use OLSR in Afghanistan
to do our school networking like so:

1. An OLSR router (running openwrt Freifunk ; see freifunk.net )
connects to the other routers in the school - that forms the backbone
on one network (e.g. channel 6)

2. A vanilla OpenWRT router actually connects to the XOs in the class.
 We reduce the transmit power on that and run it on a different
channel (e.g. 1 or 11)

The plus side is that you get a pure wireless system that does not
need network cabling / does not have cables getting killed by the
environment.  The down side is you use more routers.  I think
financially the costs are pretty similar.  Also you can now use
802.11n to get good speeds on the backbone.

Seems to scale pretty nicely - we have 500 XOs in most schools.  Note
though by design we are not using the collaboration on the school
server but rather just through the AP - teachers are not that enthused
by the prospect of kids being able to chat with anyone anytime.

This has practically made doing the deployment in the field a bit
easier - though the firmware is not always perfect and not always
working out of the box with all hardware options.

Regards,

-Mike