[IAEP] Announcing the OLPC OS 10.1.2 final release!

Cherry Withers cwithers at ekindling.org
Wed Sep 1 15:16:01 EDT 2010

Thank you to everyone who worked on this!

I'm working on aggregating information that I'm getting from the wiki pages
into a step-by-step guide in preparation for our pilot in the Philippines. I
have a few questions:

In http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Firmware , it says " Upgrading the
XO<http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Upgrading_the_XO>to a new
release <http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Releases> usually updates both the
firmware and the operating system software. Users should update to the
latest stable release to get the latest stable versions of both."

When I updated to the new Sugar release of 852, the Firmware stayed in its
old version of Q3A36. So the statement above is incorrect? Or is this just a
matter of doing a clean build (using the first part of the instructions on
the wiki) versus an "update"?   Is Q3A50 the accompanying "release" version
of the firmware?

In http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Nandblaster_for_XO-1.5

- I'm assuming that "finding the channel" for either the sender happens
automatically (ie, there's no need for additional set-up by going through
the neighborhood and connecting to a wifi network, etc.). It's just a matter
of both the receiver and sender to be on the same channel and to ensure
success just force the channel (in my head I've associated the channels to
the mesh channels which are no longer in XO 1.5)?

- there are no instructions for setting up the Receiver. Is it safe to
assume that we should follow the instructions for NANDblasting the XO 1.0
when it comes to the Receiver?

Thanks,
Cherry