[support-gang] [IAEP] Announcing the OLPC OS 10.1.2 final release!

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Wed Sep 1 19:53:08 EDT 2010

On Wed, Sep 01, 2010 at 12:16:01PM -0700, Cherry Withers wrote:
> When I updated to the new Sugar [OLPC OS] release of 852, the Firmware
> stayed in its old version of Q3A36.

Was external power connected at the time of a reboot?  Only then will
firmware be updated.  If not, it's a bug, and I'll need to work with you
to determine the cause.  Let me know if the external power was connected
before a reboot?

> So the statement above is incorrect?

No, I don't think so.

> Or is this just a matter of doing a clean build (using the first part
> of the instructions on the wiki) versus an "update"?

It should also happen after an olpc-update, is that what you did?  It's
not clear from your mail.  How did you reach os852; using fs-update,
using four game key press, or using olpc-update?

> Is Q3A50 the accompanying "release" version of the firmware?

No, Q3A48 is the firmware version embedded in os852.  You need Q3A50 on
a NANDblaster sender though.

> In http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Nandblaster_for_XO-1.5
>
> - I'm assuming that "finding the channel" for either the sender
> happens automatically (ie, there's no need for additional set-up by
> going through the neighborhood and connecting to a wifi network,
> etc.). It's just a matter of both the receiver and sender to be on the
> same channel ...

The sender picks the channel with the least activity.  The receiver
checks all channels for a sender.

> and to ensure success
> just force the channel

Yes, forcing the channel may increase the chances of success, but doing
it without knowledge of the radio conditions may decrease the chances of
success.

> (in my head I've associated the channels to the mesh
> channels which are no longer in XO 1.5)?

This may change.

> - there are no instructions for setting up the Receiver. Is it safe to
> assume that we should follow the instructions for NANDblasting the XO
> 1.0 when it comes to the Receiver?

There are instructions for setting up the receiver ... start them with
the four game keys held down, says the page.  Then it says ... if this
does not work, you may need to manually update the firmware first.  This
should not be required for laptops shipped recently.

If you've been using prototype laptops then you may need to upgrade the
firmware version first.  What firmware version are they?  You mentioned
Q3A36 above.  This is far too old.  The Wiki page says you should use
Q3A45 or later if the laptops do not start receiving.

The instructions do not describe how to upgrade the firmware first,
because in most cases that will not be required, and besides the time
cost of checking the firmware version is higher than the time cost of
just trying to receive the broadcast.

The procedure is optimised for mass deployment, not mass upgrade.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/