SD/MMC cards, a year later

John Watlington wad at laptop.org
Thu Sep 2 00:06:01 EDT 2010

On Aug 18, 2010, at 11:24 PM, John Watlington wrote:

> While the SOC being used in XO-1.75 does have a "raw" NAND
> Flash interface, it's design faces the same problem as the
> CaFE in XO-1 --- it will only be useful for today's (yesterday's)
> NAND Flash parts.

It has been confirmed that the raw NAND Flash interface on this
yet-to-hit production SoC is only useful for yesterday's parts.
Given the difference in design cycles, this is not surprising
and it provides a number of other managed storage
interfaces (SD/MMC, eMMC, etc..).

In the same phone call, we realized that an 8GB Class 2
microSD card which has been in the certification process for
longer than normal (it is Slow...) has just become obsolete
--- another quarter, another handful of SD cards to certify...

Cheers,
wad