WiFi vs suspend

Paul Fox pgf at laptop.org
Wed Sep 1 11:08:42 EDT 2010

hal wrote:

 > I have blundered into what may be a workaround for bug 10232
 >   http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/10232
 >
 > The fix is to edit
 >   /usr/share/dbus-1/system-services/fi.epitest.hostap.WPASupplicant.service
 > and add " -dddt" to the end of the Exec line.  It ends up looking like:
 > Exec=/usr/sbin/wpa_supplicant -c /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf -B
 > -u -f /var/log/wpa_supplicant.log -P /var/run/wpa_supplicant.pid -dddt
 > [That's one long line that got wrapped.]
 >
 > After that change, I haven't had any hangs in over 24 hours.  Without that
 > change, I get one in a few hours.

is this still consistent for you?

 > I'd be curious to see if it works for anybody else.

me too.

i've just released a new powerd-27 which contains a fix for XO-1 which
might affect whether power to the wlan is maintained in some cases,
and might also cause wake-on-wlan to be disabled by mistake.

in addition, i spotted a problem which i don't think we've yet seen,
but which might be an issue:  the laptop sometimes wakes up for a very
short time, usually the result of a battery state change.  if a
suspend happens very quickly after a resume, the wireless device may
not have been fully reinitialized yet, and ethtool will fail when
setting the wake-on-wlan options.  since those options aren't sticky,
it may be that this causes options previously set to be lost.  i
haven't yet tested to confirm this, but would welcome someone else
contriving such a test.  (i'm doubtful that this is causing the problems
people are seeing currently, but one never knows.)

http://dev.laptop.org/~pgf/rpms/olpc-powerd-27-1.fc11.i586.rpm

    * Wed Sep  1 2010 Paul Fox <pgf at laptop.org>
    - 27-1
    - fix suspend-inhibit for the camera on XO-1.5 (broken in 26-1)
    - fix no-keypress-wakeup blank-screen suspends
    - make checks for external power more robust
    - be more insistent about sync-before-suspend
    - reduce default brightness to 12 (was 15, full bright)
    - try not to assume wlan is eth0

paul